The gooey and yummy stuff always come with cream, yet a healthier option can always contain the greens. This time we are using spinach. Recipe by my sister.
- 1/2 cup frozen spinach
- 3 tbs flour
- 3 tbs butter
- 3 cups of milk
- 1 chicken stock cube (maggi/ knorr) I like knorr.
- 1 egg
- black pepper
- chopped onion
- mozzarella cheese
- cumin powder
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup really cold butter cubes
- 5 tbs ice cold water
- Mx the salt and flour together
- add cubes of butter and mix using a knife (as if chopping the butter in the flour)
- add the cold water and mix using a ford until the batter is more of a proper dough (you might need more iced water)
- wrap your dough in cling film and keep it in the fridge until the time of baking to cool off a bit. Take pieces of dough in the cupcake or muffin tray and spread them around using your fingers. (easy much). Poke your dough cups using a knife
- bake your pastry cups for 10 mins or until they become golden brown
- The Cream filling:
- Use a bechamel recipe and follow the steps, only difference is to add the egg, the chicken stock cube and black pepper.
- The Spinach:
- Oil in a small deep pan, add the onions and let brown a tiny bit
- add the spinach to it
- add the salt, pepper, and cumin and stir
- keep it on low temperature until the water released from the spinach dries out
- shred some mozzarella cheese and then add the spinach to the cream mixture along with the spinach mixture. (all together)
- fill your baked pastry cups with your cream spinach mixture and sprinkle some cheese. Put the tray back in the oven until the cheese melts and becomes lovely brown.